Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rachael and M do a lot of touristy stuff.

11:35 pm CET

Yesterday morning was a little strange. I awoke not even two minutes before some maintenance people came in to fix our third bed. I was still in my pajamas and curled up in bed, and I barely had time to put on my glasses before they were examining the damn thing. Of course they decided to come back the next day (which they may or may not have done; it's still broken), so it was all in vain.

I attempted to get some research done, but I soon got exceptionally bored and ended up watching a movie and playing games. At four I left to go pick up Marianne from Keleti train station and I brought her back to the dorm. We went out to dinner at TGI Friday's (yeah, yeah...) and then turned in for the night.

Today, however, was jam-packed with stuff. I dropped M off at St. Stephen's basilica first, since I had a project meeting with my advisor at CEU. After my relatively short meeting, I joined up with M again and we went to the Dohány Street Synagogue. I placed a pebble on the weeping willow monument, since I didn't do it last time I was there.

Our next stop was the Market Hall, where M browsed (and kind of haggled) and I tried to come up with gift ideas for later. We bought lunch (super delicious) and walked around a little more. From the Hall we continued across the street to Váci utca for some more shopping. We grabbed some coffee and hot chocolate to warm up, and then we walked to Vörösmarty tér (which was depressingly empty now that all the Christmas stalls are gone). We got on the yellow line metro toward Hősök tere, where we went to Musuem of Fine Arts. After going through practically the entire museum, we met Jacob at the finally finished Starbucks on Király utca. Once we'd spent sufficient time relaxing, we took the tram to MOM Park mall to see Tangled. It was fantastic! I am so happy that I finally got to see it. After the movie, we all went to Trombitás, which was--of coruse--as delectable as ever. There were a couple guys at the bar who kept staring at us, and it kind of creeped me out a bit. After the meal, they came up to us and it turned out that they were from Chicago and were just happy to hear other English-speakers. They seemed really nice and I'm glad we got to have a little chat. I hope they have safe travels from here, whoever they are!

Now we're back in the dorm and I am not exactly looking forward to another sleepless night on that terrible, downward-sloping bed (since I offered mine to M). I slept on it for three months and now I can't figure out how I did it. Tomorrow is another busy, busy day, though; I certainly hope that I can get some rest. I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment