Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

"There's nothing half so pleasant as coming home again."

9:37 pm Central European Time (CET)

I am so happy to be back in Budapest. Travelling for nearly two weeks straight has taken its toll, and I am more than relieved that I now have time to sleep all day and be blissfully idle.

Yesterday, my last day in Athens, I mostly sat around and got some rest. I knew I wouldn't be sleeping during the night, since I had another early flight the next morning, so I opted to snooze during the day. I did, however, go out for an hour or two to take a walk. I went to the Olympic Stadium from the first contemporary Olympic Games in 1896, which was pretty cool. It's a fully restored ancient stadium made entirely of white marble; it was once used for the Panathenaic games to honour Athena way back when. From the stadium I walked across the street and through the National Gardens (parts of which were kind of sketchy, to be honest) till I ended up at the Zappeion, a convention center-like building in the center of the park. There was a Christmas fair being held on its grounds, and I walked around a bit more before heading back toward the hostel. I bought some food for later and went straight to sleep; I was more exhausted than I thought I was, I guess.

Once I woke up, I tried to pass the several remaining hours before my flight by watching movies. Two movies later and I still had a long ways to go, so I gave up, checked out, and got a cab to the airport. I didn't sleep there, either, but at least I didn't have to worry anymore about being on time. The flights themselves were fine; I just hate all the waiting and waiting and waiting that one is forced to endure in airports. But now I'm here again and I couldn't be happier. The sky was clear and there were icy patches on the Danube; it couldn't have been a better welcome home!

Now that I'm back, all I've done is sleep and mess around online. Tomorrow is looking to be the exact same and, frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I need a break from moving about all the time, that's for sure.

And a sidenote: if I hear another smooth jazz rendition of Sleigh Ride ever again, I might have to kill someone. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment