Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry.

8:35 pm EET

Well, Cape Sounion plans ended up not working out after all. It would have been really cool to see the Temple of Poseidon against the epic backdrop of the Sea, but I guess that'll just have to wait for another time. It gives me an excuse to come back someday (not that I need one, of course).

I slept in late and enjoyed staying in bed for most of the morning. I rushed out to the meeting place for the last two tours I've been on this week, but after half an hour and still no bus, I let my impatience take over and I decided to wander around the neighbourhood. I bought a t-shirt (it says "THIS IS SPARTA" on it and I have no shame whatsoever) and went to a nice little restaurant for lunch. I ordered some delicious Greek specialties--stuffed grape leaves (incredible) and some lamb meatballs (exceptional). I may just go back tomorrow for my last meal in Greece... goodness knows the food alone is worth it.

Following lunch and a cup of coffee, I bought some fresh spinach and cheese pie to reheat for dinner and then returned to the hostel for the day. Turns out one of the new girls in my room is from K's Rome program! Small world, eh? It's funny how we all end up in the same places. Like remember the wannabe archaeologist old guy I mentioned earlier from the Mycenae trip? Well I saw him in Delphi and on the Acropolis (wearing the same ridiculous getup). Small world, indeed.

Tomorrow I'll walk to the Panathenaic Stadium, the fully restored ancient stadium where the first modern Olympic Games were held in 1896. After that... I'll probably just go to a café and laze around before coming back and relaxing in the hostel. I think I'm ready to be back in my bed in Budapest... it's been a long two weeks and I'm definitely looking forward to being in a city I know again. I've missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment