Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Will the sun ever shine again?

10: 48 pm CET

I actually slept well for the first time last night since getting here. That bottle of wine may have had something to do with it, but finally having a good night's sleep made me realise how little I've been getting. It's no wonder I've been spacing out so much.

I tried to sleep in, but I ended up waking up at eight, anyway. Since I couldn't fall back asleep, I went between reading a new book and sitting around staring at the ceiling. My roommates were asleep for pretty much the whole day, so I tried to stay quiet. Later Catherine, Jane, and I went to the Great Market Hall across the river in Pest. It's the largest indoor market in the city; there were numerous stalls selling everything from sausages to beer steins, not to mention tons and tons of paprika. It felt sort of touristy, but there were several locals there, as well.

Once finished, we walked across the Liberty Bridge (Szabadság híd), took the 47 tram back to Móricz Zsigmond körtér, and went our separate ways. When I reached my dorm, I tried to sleep some more. People kept coming in and out of our room, though, so there was more entertaining conversation than sleeping going on.

I wish I had a television with NBC right now so I could be watching the Michigan v Notre Dame game. None of the online streaming sites I found were working, so I don't get to see any of it... oh, well. I'll just have to cheer the Maize and Blue on from here and pretend to be there in spirit.

Someone has been setting off fireworks sporadically all evening, but we can't really see them; it's still too foggy to see much of anything in the distance because of this constant rain. The weather reports say it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow... let's just hope that Hungarian meteorologists are more reliable than American ones. A long shot, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment