Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Say what now?

5:30 pm CET

I think I got carded while buying a bottle of wine this afternoon. The cashier was speaking rapid Hungarian (obviously) and I didn't understand a word of it (obviously), so I started stammering in english and effortlessly put on my best "deer in headlights-I have no idea what you're saying to me" face (I've had a lot of practice lately). He got the idea and said "ID please," at which point I handed him my international student identification card and he, after looking at it strangely for a few moments, finally scanned the wine through and sent me on my merry way.

This language barrier is becoming increasingly frustrating. Even with the new words and phrases, it just isn't enough sometimes to really understand what's going on. I propose that someone come up with an instantaneous way of learning Magyar. Or, at the very least, a universal translator à la Star Trek. That would be super convenient. Super, super convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment