Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Well, I'm back.

8:04 pm CET

Today was rather uneventful, as it was mostly spent in airports and on planes. I got to the Nice airport far too early--I thought security was going to be worse than it was--and ended up sitting around waiting for three hours before they even posted a gate on the departures board. On the bus to the plane, I was beside a group of those Americans who give other Americans a bad name; all they did was complain about everything and act as though the world belonged to them. I wanted so badly to tell them to shut up, but I managed to hold my tongue.

The flight to Munich wasn't bad. The best part was that half of the flight was spent crossing the snow-covered Alps. I had never seen real mountains before, so for me, it was a breathtakingly beautiful sight to behold. I saw villages and towns in the valleys; rivers that flowed from the peaks and into the basins, supplying fresh water to the people nearby; lush pine forests that were dotted here and there with the bright reds and yellows of autumn. It was absolutely gorgeous, and I was incredibly happy to have had the chance to see it.

When we landed in Munich, I practically had to run to my next gate in order to make it in time for boarding. I arrived with fifteen minutes to spare, and once on the plane, I slept through the short 55-minute flight to Budapest. After landing I went outside and caught the 200E bus, taking that to the Kőbanya-Kispest metro station, where I hopped on the blue line to Ferenc körút, and continued from there to the dorm via the oh-so-familiar six tram. I have no idea what I'm going to do this weekend, but making plans can wait; it's time to kick back and relax.

With November just around the corner, I recently came to the realisation that I have lived in Budapest for two months already. Two months ago, I left Ferihegy International Airport excited, nervous, and exceptionally lost. Today, I left through those same doors and I was no longer a stranger in a strange land...

I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment